Surgery Center Coordinator - from Jul 1, 2019 - 2 jobs for 13 months in NPH Honduras.
- 21 years or older
- Proficient in spoken Spanish
- Bachelors degree in biology, chemistry, or related field
- Medical experience (preferably in a surgery center or operation room)
- Organizational and time-management skills to plan and maintain patient schedule, as well as documentation and reports
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team, but also take initiative and work independently
One World Surgery Center is an ambulatory surgical center located on the grounds of NPH Honduras. The surgery center has a full-time Honduran staff that performs surgeries year-round. Teams of approximately 60 people from the US also routinely visit the surgery center for week-long medical brigades. During brigades, clinical and nonclinical participants come together to perform over 60 life-changing surgeries for Hondurans who would otherwise go without treatment.
The following positions are available in One World Surgery Center:
- The Patient Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the care of Holy Family Surgery Center patients for both ongoing clinic and surgery days as well as during all medical brigades. The Coordinator will also complete various tasks in preparation for each medical mission brigade. Lastly, they will assist with other general administrative tasks such as the inventory and purchasing of medicines and supplies, and the maintenance of equipment and facilities.
- The Brigade Coordinator is responsible for organizing the Ranch stays of all medical mission brigades. The Visitor Coordinator will act as a liaison between Holy Family Surgery Center and NPH Honduras, organizing transport, housing, and activities for the brigades. The Visitor Coordinator will also help to make brigade participants feel comfortable and welcomed while on the Ranch.
- The Research Assistant is responsible for assisting in the design, implementation, analysis, evaluation, and reporting of various studies. The Research Assistantís main responsibility will be to assist the One World Surgery Centerís Administrative Director and coordinators with data collection, entry, and analysis.
The One World Surgery Center Coordinator should be a highly motivated, independent volunteer who is not afraid to take on new challenges. This person must have some medical background, preferably with operating room experiences, and strong organizational skills.
This position is only available in Honduras.
Each volunteer chooses an hogar (group of children of the same age living together) at the beginning of their year. Each homeís Volunteer Coordinator will communicate the expectations for hogar time. Usually, it is six days a week, 6 to 8 p.m., but this might vary per home. This has been described as the most fulfilling part of volunteering, the bond and relationships formed with their hogar of children.
Volunteers have every other weekend off, as well as up to 22 days of vacation time after four months of service. Vacation must be arranged according to the specific homeís policies.
All NPH volunteers receive room and board, access to medical care and a monthly stipend. Volunteers pay for their transportation to and from the home and medical insurance. Volunteers must serve for at least one year.
For more information, please write to our International Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.